Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Dragon of the Month: Icelandic White Dragon






Great Icelandic White Dragon
Dracorexus  rekjavikus


Size: 50'
Wingspan: 75'
Recognition: Quadrapedal body, with long tail and broad wings. Markings: vary by season.
Habitat: Maritime cliffs of Iceland
Classification: Draco/Aerodraciforme/Dracorexidae/Dracorexus/D. rekjavikus



The White Dragon of Iceland was long considered to be a creature of mythology. In the medieval Welsh epic The Mabinogion, an invading White Dragon battles a Welsh Red Dragon, ravaging the kingdom in their wrath. This encounter is the earliest known account of the White Dragon until the 17th Century when the White Dragon of Iceland was documented by early explorers and naturalists.

The White Dragon makes its home in the high cliffs of Iceland overlooking the northern Atlantic ocean. Like other members of the Dracorexidae family this powerful dragon can grow to enormous sizes in excess of 75' wingspans. Using the high cliffs and strong ocean winds the White Dragon can soar for long periods of time surveying its territory which it will guard voraciously. The White Dragon feeds primarily on large sea animals, such as seals, small whales and fish. The camouflage abilities of the Icelandic dragon are unique to its species, ranging in color from pure white to mottled browns and grays. These changes are similar to other arctic animals such as the arctic fox, and range widely from summer to winter. Making lairs in the high cliffs near the ocean the White Dragon will hibernate through the winter awakening in the spring to court and mate. Once a female White Dragon has chosen a male and the eggs are laid, the male will abandon his family and search for a new territory. 

It is possible that the rare encounter mentioned in the Mabinogion was the instance of a White Dragon migrating from its home in Iceland to the cliffs of Wales. Today there are very few specimens of White Dragons still alive. Like all of the Great Dragons, they are an endangered and protected animal, with their native habitats on the shores of Iceland kept as preserves. Visitors to Rekjavik Iceland often enjoy Dragon spotting cruises to try to catch a glimpse of this powerful and majestic animal in its natural environment.












To view a selection from the book or purchase Dracopedia visit:



©William O'Connor/William O'Connor Studios/Dracopedia:A Guide to Drawing the Dragons of the World/The Dracopedia Project. All rights reserved.

16 comments:

  1. I am writing a fantasy book, and though I started out not knowing much about dragons, your book Dracopedia has enlightened me so much. The featured dragon in my book is an Icelandic White Dragon, and between the book and the blog I've been able to gather great amounts of background on it to write 'authentically'. I'm very excited to read your new book that comes out this summer.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel-Thank you. The information in the new book is very in depth!! I hope you enjoy.
    WOC

    ReplyDelete
  3. we had a sighting here in the studio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am also writing a fanfiction on your amazing books, they have given me many help and reference.
    Check out my story here, but it's short because it's new:
    www.wattpad.com/squirrelflight22
    then see my works and click the story titled "War"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your style and attention to detail! I haven't been on your blog for awhile, but seeing this inspires me to draw dragons again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great! keep following for news and info! A lot of new material to come this year!

      Delete
  6. I love dragons. They're my whole life. I have your book! (The Dracopedia drawing one) I live where dragons represent everything. I simply adore you and your style! Now I'm going to HAVE to get the Beastiary and the handbook one. Please reply!
    Thanks,
    Dragon2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello???Anyway, I am obssesed and I have shown your book to the people in my class. Naturally, they were skeptical, but I know have all the scientific reasons proving that they are real.
    THANK YOU!!!!,
    Dragon2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I read your comment to the dracopedia website on dragons, and it seems we have something in common. Dragons are my life as well. I'd really like to see the scientific proof you found, and if it's possible, I'd like to contact you.
      I am so relieved to at last find a person who understands and loves dragons as I do.
      rsvp : lydialaughland@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! :)

      Delete
  8. Hello?????? Laughlander? Are you there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laughlander? Are you there? Please respond. I need you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HELLO??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughlander?????????//

    ReplyDelete